Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Haitian Woman Making Goat Stew in Ranquitte, 1986 (poem)




Goat Stew in Ranquitte


I stood still in the forenoon, my face is turned away from the
       sun.
A woman is cooking goat stew in my long shadow.
The Minister’s house is silent, I’m standing under the edge of the
       extended roof.
My friends and I are building a medical clinic nearby; I’m a bit
       overheated, resting (it is the summer of 1986).

I feel like a strange sea creature, drawn back into it (it is July, 2012).
But the spirit inside of me is moving, it says: after twenty-six
       years, it says: ‘It’s time to go back!”
I close my eyes, and think of Haiti, I see a little girl by a woman cooking
       the goat stew…
There are good things in this world, and Haiti is one, and Goat Stew is
       another!


#3379 (7-18-2012)

Recalled from notes and photographs from 1986,
trip to Haiti by the author and 18-other Missionaries 



No comments: