Thursday, May 10, 2012

A View on Poetic Style


A View on Poetic Style:  “I was told once, perhaps many times, but this one time in particular: I was told I had a nice style, different style of poetry.  I guess I never think of style for the most part, when I write what I considered freedom of poetry. Let me explain: I’ve felt perhaps from the first day I wrote my first poem, in 1959 at the age twelve “Who,” poetry must reclaim substance and sense, social, psychological, and cultural realities, religion, in place of unreal ones, eccentric and abstract ones, which do not save the soul, give insight, produce a story, nor can be understood by the mind. I understand there is a borderline between prose and poetry, which comes pretty close to poetic prose, but between that there is even a finer line, it is an old line, reclaimed.
       “What this really boils down to, is: poets must represent the world of nature and men as they see them, full of color, mystery and emotion; this takes a reassertion, it is a right of the poet, and one need discard all the romance and passion for more mundane themes, if indeed this is his style approach.

No comments: